Monday, March 24, 2014

Interactive Read-alouds

Catching Readers Before They Fall describes in Chapter Six many compelling reasons for having interactive read-alouds in the classroom. They allow students to discuss a common topic with each other, they can be tied to math or science curriculum to enrich a lesson, and they can act as brainstorming sessions for students' writing. However, I believe the two most important reasons to have frequent interactive read-alouds in the classroom are to model enjoyable reading and to expose students to a variety of books. Students will likely be enthusiastic readers if they know it can be fun and they have books that interest them. 

Using read-alouds to model enjoyable reading is something I hadn't considered until my first literacy class this Fall. I knew that reading to children was fun. I knew that using funny voices and good inflection were helpful to keep a group of students engaged. It hadn't occurred to me though that kindergarten and first graders who find reading challenging could look to a read-aloud for proof that it gets better! What a wonderful reason to read to a class- to show how fun it is! 

Catching Readers reminds us that modeling enjoyable reading is not just for struggling readers. English Language Learners (ELLs) benefit from hearing books read in English and even the strongest readers will learn from listening to a teacher with good tone and inflection. So, read-alouds serve many purposes. They are also helpful for exposing students to a variety of books.

I can look at my own habits to see how important this demonstration is in the classroom. I am not particularly varied when I choose a book to read for fun. I know I enjoy science fiction and mythology-based stories. I know I like certain authors or series and I tend to stick to what I know. It is always a thrill though, to have a book outside my predictable sphere recommended. Children do the same thing. Whether it's butterflies, the moon, or Scooby Doo, students tend to stick with what they know they like. Catching Readers reminds us to manage the "diet" of books we give our students to prevent this miopic view of reading. For instance, because I loved Madeline as a girl I might be tempted to read every Madeline book to my students. They will benefit more though, from having one Madeline book read to them for a purpose (the story structure, repeated language, character development, etc.) and then having the option to explore more Madeline books on their own. 

By choose a healthy variety of books, we are increasing the chances of every student finding something with which to connect. When students have a personal connection, they have an incentive to read. I was glad that Catching Readers reminded me as I read that read-alouds can happen during any part of the curriculum, too. Students still get the benefits of seeing an enthusiastic reader when hearing a non-fiction book about shapes or seasons. 

Chapter Six of Catching Readers was helpful in reinforcing my interest in reading aloud to a class by providing detailed reasons read-alouds are beneficial. Read-alouds can be varied in a number of ways to fit any situation and appeal to any students. That makes for a very helpful resource in a teacher's toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment